This is our journal as we go through the 49 days (step-by-step) from decision to in-vitro fertilization. Scheduling, details, feelings, thoughts; all are recorded here. It is an amazing process, and we felt it vital to chronicle it.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Dear Future Child

You do not yet exist, but already you are loved. Your mother and I are working hard, making sacrifices and literally giving of our own flesh to ensure your own survival. I know this will be more than you can understand for years to come, but I want you to know how important you are to us already.
 
There are several sisters who have come before you, none less loved than you. Each of them came to being in her own way, with her own uniqueness and qualities. They will be here to love you too. There is no doubt you will love them as well.
 
Circumstances of your life are peculiar, but as I said of your sisters it seems that every life in this world is brought under special settings. The condition of your creation is just a bit more obvious than most. But that matters not to your mother or to me. We welcome you and are ready for your arrival and addition to our already peculiar family. So – see, you will fit right in.
 
I must warn you – this life ahead is not without its troubles. Struggles will always be found in this life. I cannot promise you an existence that is full of luxury and ease, but I can promise you I will be available, I will protect you, and I will teach you how best I know to navigate this life.
 
For you see, this life is bigger than both you and me. There is a vast mystery to it. I will show you what I know and wonder with you of the things I don’t. I will help you to be self-sufficient for there will be a day I can no longer stand guard over you; you will have to protect yourself, but I will prepare you well. Lastly, I will coach on how to love, laugh and enjoy the fellowship of friends and family. This lesson of compassion is a vital one I hope you truly grasp.
 
Though you have not yet arrived, I needed to take this moment to let you know how much I look forward to you becoming part of my family and my life.

2 comments:

  1. I just got caught up on the entire blog, thus far. I find it all very fascinating and... scary. If I do, I know you both do. You guys are doing an amazing thing. Definitely praying for you during this process and sending many (but not too many) healthy baby thoughts in your direction. Be positive and breathe! :)

    ReplyDelete