This is our journal as we go through the 49 days (step-by-step) from decision to in-vitro fertilization. Scheduling, details, feelings, thoughts; all are recorded here. It is an amazing process, and we felt it vital to chronicle it.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

T-Minus 24 …Matey!

This being September 19 and therefore International Talk Like A Pirate Day, I am tempted to write this entire blog post as if you’d changed your FaceBook language. However, as my wife is new to this tradition and the more serious nature of this blog, I will resist the urge…arrr!
 
So with that out of the way, let me get down to the importance of the day. Tomorrow is the day of our respective retrievals. Kristina’s ovaries are about the size of baseballs and obviously sore. While the idea of a semi-invasive procedure is not appealing, she is rather excited to no longer need the bloat-forming hormone shots. Plus, after tomorrow, her endocrine system gets to revert to normal…well, “normal” meaning self-regulated…well, again sort of. We have to supplement progesterone in the early weeks of her pregnancy…so, ignore my use of the word “normal.”
 
As for me, I’ve been long embracing the phrase “it’s getting close to nut-cutting time” – and now it really is. This of course reminds me of the joke where the pirate had a steering wheel protruding from his pants; his explanation: “It be drivin’ me nuts!” (Sorry, obviously I use bawdy humor to cope with my own anxiety; plus, I got to sneak in another pirate-day reference.)
 
Anyway, the last 47 days have been quite an experience, in some ways a bit surreal. However, there are three pivotal points of this whole process. Tomorrow is the first of those. The second is (now) day 53, when the embryo transfer happens. Odds look great from everything we know so far, but we are still weeks from the third key date, when we confirm the outcome.
 
Again, I’d like to say thanks to all our readers and supporters. The stress is greater than probably gets revealed in this blog, and your encouragement, kindness and furtherance has been appreciated – also more than probably revealed in this blog. For those who pray with details (or those who just want them), Kristina’s procedure is being performed at 7AM and mine will be at 8AM. We should be home, resting, before 11 o’clock tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you guys tomorrow! Hope everything goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was Fifteen Years After My Hero Died day where I was. Talk like a pirate might be more fun. :)

    I did pray - i walked around the house and prayed out loud. Looking forward to updates and if i can help - well, i already mentioned that. Hugs, guys.

    ReplyDelete