This is our journal as we go through the 49 days (step-by-step) from decision to in-vitro fertilization. Scheduling, details, feelings, thoughts; all are recorded here. It is an amazing process, and we felt it vital to chronicle it.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Summary

We gave a few updates today on Facebook, but I know not everyone follows that. So, let me summarize the day:
 
We awoke before 5:30AM to get ready, dress ourselves and Kara, drop her off at the daycare and then head to the hospital. We got to the clinic even before some of the staff and had just a few moments to rest. I "checked us in" on Facebook to let our friends know we had arrived, then we were taken back to the prep and recovery room.
 
One hard stick later and the IV was in place, followed shortly by the procedure. Kristina did well and her blood pressure (which had been a concern the last time) acted much better, although not perfectly enough for the doctor and anesthesiologist to trumpet the good news of a total remission. Nonetheless, because of their concern, they did not use Toradol. This led to more intense cramping after the procedure than she had the first time. In turn, this meant we spent a little longer in recovery.
 
All in all, things went well, but it's easy for me to say that, as I am the one without the cramps. However, my reasoning is focused more on the results, which yielded nineteen (19) eggs harvested from Kristina's ovaries. The other bright spot of the stay was when they asked me to go into the private room and make myself happy; however, one of the nurses stopped me, reminding the other clinic workers that I already had product stored in the bank. The request took us all by surprise, and we all had a good laugh about it. And no, I did not actually take any alone time with myself.
 
At this point I feel I should have given a we're all adults here warning to this post, but oh well. We're all adults here.
 
Anyway, one heating pad purchase and several hours later, we finally left the clinic, ate lunch, put Kristina to bed and filled her pain-medicine prescription. She also made some sort of reference about feeling like a puffer fish. I'm not sure, but I believe they filled her innards with a gas for the surgery. We've been using the maximum allowed amount of gas-relief pills, as the discomfort has shifted from cramps to pressure.
 
We had all of that excitement, plus gathering the kids from their daily routine, and still had to perform my least favorite part of all of this. (Okay, that may be a mild exaggeration, but really don't like this part.) We did the first progesterone shot in her hip.
 
As those who read this last time recall, I had a lot of anxiety of giving the shots. Moreover, the oil is very thick and is quite painful in the delivery. I suppose I've shed my callous nature and grown feelings in my old age because I hate that it causes her any pain at all. Yet I understand the need and logic of it. Kristina said my stabbing technique had improved but that I needed to slow down even more on the plunger.
 
There you have it. That was the day. The highlights: nineteen eggs. Everything else: the struggle ensued to get them.
 
Where do we go from here? We get an embryo report every day (except Day 4) until next Tuesday, which is when the top two are selected and transfered back inside Kristina. We keep giving shots, testing hormone levels and in a few weeks we will know whether or not these last 49 steps will have produced a baby...possible two.

2 comments: